Saturday, November 1, 2008

Notes [Razzi]

These are just notes!

I was just playing along with the midi-file recording of Nigtingale and had a few ideas:

-I don’t know that the opening should start with that major theme on violin. I tried it and it just doesn’t “feel” right. It’s very major/nostalgic/dreamy sounding (not achy/drowsy/numb) which feels somewhat contrary to the opening of the poem and sounds strange when Brian opens with the chromatic/minor piano part. I need to develop something somewhere in between.

-Much of the piano part is based in melody which makes it very difficult for me to develop a violin part that stands out. Now that we have the core structure of the piece, I think we need to work out musical themes and play off of one another rather than have the violin act as an accompaniment to the piano. I envision the two music lines melding together and connecting at times; influencing one another rather than one part dictating where the other part should go.

-I love the way the piece juxtaposes fullness and fading. It’s like an ocean tide moving you back and forth. We can definitely play that up a lot.

-While I was toying around with my part, I was experimenting not only with chromaticsm/mixing major with minor but also syncopated rhythms. A big part of the poem is the meter and Keats breaks it in every stanza. He moves from iambic pentameter to trimeter in the 8th lines. Syncopation added a new complexity/tension to the piece…I’ll have to play around with that more.

-I’d also like to experiment with the “doubt” in the ending of the poem. I feel as though the ending should not be clear to the listener. There should be a real loss of time, perhaps even key, and the piece should fade into nothing, but so subtly that the listener is left wondering if they might still be hearing something.

No comments: